Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Crayon Art

I know we are about a year late to the party but the boys did some crayon art during their day off yesterday. They absolutely loved it!
I was thrilled to see that white canvases were buy one get one free at Michaels this week - Bonus!
I made a special trip to the hardware store to buy some blue painters tape. Only to find out that they were out blue painters tape. Really? So I purchased some green painters tap. I wanted to have their initials on the canvas. I taped their canvases up and had the boys choose what colors they wanted to use.
Not yet glued to the canvas
 They took longer choosing their colors than I expected. They took it very seriously. :) Once the colors were chosen we hot glued them to the top of the canvas. I made sure that they all were facing the right way (tips down/the word crayola showing). I had the boys help put them on once I glued them so they were not exactly in a straight line but still looked good.

The boys were most excited about revving up the heating tool and melting the wax.
We were surprised how quickly the wax started to melt and drip. It took just a few seconds. It didn't take long to realize that the tape, that I made a special trip for, was not working. You could see the wax under the tape. Bummer. Ezra decided to abandon his "E" and just enjoy the process of melting. He loved watching the colors "race" to the bottom.

Aidan decided to still try out his green tape. We pushed it own extra hard to make the best seal possible. Nope, green painters tape sucks -- at least when it's put up to the task of keeping out hot wax. We quickly just ripped the "A" off and went on w/our business.
It was really fun an the boys were thrilled to make their own art for their walls.
 Aidan decided he still wanted an "A" on his canvas so I painted a small black "A" on the corner. I think it looks pretty cute.

A few tips:
  1. Obviously, number one, no not use green painters tape. ;)
  2. I used two canvases, once box of 64 crayons and one box of 16 crayons. There were only about 6 crayons left. 
  3. I have seen that you can use a hair dryer but if you have a heating tool from the old stamping days I would suggest digging that out. Mine worked perfect.
  4. The wax does splatter! So make sure you do the melting in a box and in a UN-carpeted area.



 FINAL PRODUCTS:

No comments:

Post a Comment